Thursday, December 7, 2006

An Anniversary of Sorts.

 
    Egads! 

    I am in one hell of a grumpy, sort of mood today, and as far as I can tell, it most likely has to do with a sociopath ex-girlfriend who has an odd way of making the holidays considerably more annoying than they really have to be.  Part of me misses her like crazy, and part of me is damn happy she's gone. 

    She's the kind of woman who, in order to figure out, it would require the same level of mental gymnastics and blazing acumen required for solving Einstein's Unified Field theory. 

    However, if I could bend time and space, I'd go back to that night almost seven years ago where I stood at her door with a bottle of Auslese in one hand and a finger hovering over the doorbell.  And, had I known then what I know now, I'd have left a note saying: "Sorry, honey.   I have a pretty good notion that you are utterly bat-shit crazy.  I do hope you understand."   Then, I'd have turned around and headed home to drink my bottle of wine and enjoy writing novels in my bachelorhood rather than enter into a relationship which was about as stable as a drunken monkey with a machine gun.

    Unfortunately, seven years ago I rang that bell, fell in love, and since then my life has been a swirling emotional maelstrom at the hands of this free-range female lunatic. 

    Anyway, the first go-'round with this crazy lady lasted about six months before she left me for a thirty-year-old, overweight, underachieving law-student (ick) who, as it turns out, had more fun playing Dungeons & Dragons with his buddies than he did spending time with her (eeeesh!). 

    I mean, seriously.  That's just wrong.  As crazy as the woman is, she still has much more to offer than some swarthy tart of a 15th level cleric --even a swarthy tart of a cleric with a +5 to save against Ogres (if you're into that sort of thing).  Even though she was as nutty as a box of squirrel turds, she was brilliant and beautiful to the point of making my retinas sizzle every time I saw her smile. 

    Nonetheless, at that time, I figured I'd step as far out of her life as I could.  However, six months later, she was back complaining and unloading the unbearable minutiae of her miserable life with the guy she left me for. 

    Fair?  Not really. 

    But, I did my best to be a kind and compassionate friend because, deep down, she could be a very nice person, and even though she's utterly bonkers, she and I had a certain inexplicable chemistry that just kept pulling us together. 

    Needless to say, the story only goes downhill from there with her getting married to her dungeon master, divorcing said geek, and taking up with me again only to once again dump me for the same damn knucklehead she dumped me for six and a half years ago. 

    Yup.  It's a real "Mr. Forehead meet Mr. Wall," sort of thing, don't you think?
  
    Will she be back?  It's very hard to say no.  But, I'm thinking I may just nudge back time a bit to seven years ago, and not push that doorbell should the opportunity present itself. 

    Then again, I have to admit, it certainly wasn't a tedious or boring relationship.  I mean, if those things are like work, what I had seems to be not entirely unlike a nice, precarious position in the bomb disposal unit.  Still though, the occasional thought of that maniac running through my mind is still enough to gum up my emotional wheels and cogs. 
   
-DP

11 comments:

  1. Well I just read your entry and my sides still ache from the laughter, your description of your female friend is without equal. However, If I were your mother I would tell you to run like hell. Buy a case of wine if you need to and you can buy a door bell at the dollar store, get drunk and ring the bell till you are tired and look for another relationship.  You seem like a pretty good guy and she appears to be all the things you said, sooooo do you want to have to go thru this again and again I doubt it. Anyway, that is just one moms opinion! Have a great day and I do enjoy reading your journal. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Into each life one head over heels, can't live without you - can't stand you relationship must fall.  We call it PASSION in my world, the female world ... and you must ask yourself why you keep letting this person you can't understand and can't keep your hands off of back into your head & heart ... Ah, that is the question to which there is NO logical explanation.  Many of us would have to just say, ride the roller coaster it's a blast ... but then again, there is the aftermath to consider isn't there?  ah, yes the sweet deadly world of mass confusion ... why, whaaaaat the **** just happened, what could of, should of, should be, can't be, must be ... what the **** is wrong with so and so, or me, or us, or the world, or well this crazy mixed up life\?????????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending over some WD-40 for your wheels and cogs. It will be delivered by a hooker. You can easily recognize Wisconsin hookers because they have long johns and pac boots sticking out under their vinyl miniskirts. They don't pack any of that wimpy KY-Jelly stuff...because, unlike good ol' WD, the KY will freeze.

    "Hey, hooker-girl, bring Dan some of these oatmeal pies, too. Don't worry, he'll know what to do with them."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh! And I thought I was messed up! It's that seven year itch thingummy. Seriously, it exists. Every seven years, give or take, me and my missus come close to calling it a day. I think the only reason we've survived the recurring onlsaught is because, like you, we are closet masochists.
    You know you'll be waiting for her when she comes round again. B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dan... first let me say that I laughed my freakin' ass off reading this entry.  You are the comic equivalent of the Einsteinian genius required to solve the Unified Field Theory.  Btw, my son thinks he has it down, but I digress.

    Everyone needs one of these relationships in their life, you have had yours.  It usually helps prepare you for the 'real thing' - so that when it walks into your life, you aren't stupid enough to screw it up or let it leave.

    Blessings for you this Christmas, you can't go back in time, and you would regret unringing the bell.  No regrets in life... it all has meaning and has made you - YOU.  And, you are damn fine, Dan.  Now, come read my journal.  lol

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have,  or have had one of those in our life.  I would like to say that I've learned my lesson and press the "exit stage left" button when they come anywhere near me!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grab a bottle of that Auslese stuff and go get your retinas sizzled. No, relatonships aren't like WORK (ick!)...good ones really are like the rush of bomb-defusing. So stop exacerbating (you exacerbator, you) that Carpal Tunnel syndrome and go ring a doorbell. None of us gets to live forever. Except Walt Disney's head or Hitler's brain, I guess.

    Did you know that there were like a dozen Lassie-dogs? And they had to comb down the fur to hide the weenie because most of them were really Laddies? I think there is a moral to the story...like "Don't be a cosmetically castrated Collie." Not that I am calling you a eunuch-hound. I have just completely forgot my point somewhere between Auslese and Disney's frozen melon.

    Love and stuff,
    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that I'm not that only one that's encountered a few crazies!!  LOL!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would it make you feel any better if I told you that I dumped a dorky Dungeon Master for a nice guy and then married that nice guy INSTEAD of the man who liked to, on occassion, paint himself black and run through the "forest" (backyard) as "Erik - the Dark Elf of Leiderhosen Land" (or something like that)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain, Dan.   It can suck.  Life moves on and memories stay.   I'm sure you deserve better, even if monotony doesn't seem like something that'd suit you.  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you don't continue this vicious cyle, but it does make for good entry fodder.  'Holidy hugs'  Barb  

    ReplyDelete