Sunday, December 10, 2006

Favorite Christmas Song?

    Scalzi asked us to kill a Christmas song in his last Weekend Assignment, and I chose to do away with that damned Chipmunks song.  However, I got to thinking today, if you could listen to only ONE song this Christmas, which one would it be?

    For me, the only Christmas song that can make me stop wherever I am and crank the stereo to 11 is Emerson, Lake and Palmer's song "I Believe in Father Christmas." 

    On my old system, I used to have two Bose 901 speakers hanging by chains from my ceiling a couple of feet from the wall, and I used to play that song so loud, my 901's would actually start swinging (I'm pretty sure Paul can appreciate this). 

    Anyway, here are the lyrics to the tune:
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the VIRGIN BIRTH
I remember one Christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell
AND EYES full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a Silent Night
And they told me a fairy story
'Till I believed in the Israelite
And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked to the sky with excited eyes
'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell
The Christmas we get we deserve
    So, what's your favorite Christmas song?

*update*   I had to do a bit of digging, but I just found and played this song, and I played it loud enough to wake up DeafCat.  That's what she gets sleeping so close to the subwoofer when I'm listening to ELP, I guess.  If I still had my vinyl, I'm thinking she'd have gone flying across the room. 

11 comments:

  1. I've got to admit I love this time of year & can regularly be heard singing out loud at home when the christmas songs come on, I think my favourite is Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry. I guess the reason I like this one so much is because I remember hearing it as a kid & wishing my dad was home because he was away in the army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reason, Vamp.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Father Christmas song, too. Good one. Around here, we are still singing "Sorriest Christmas" by The Diggers. "Mama was wishing for some fresh eggnog. Daddy said 'Shut up and pass the Mad Dog.'"

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am reading your posting Amy Grant is singing "This is My Grown-Up Christmas List" I think I would vote for that one. I'll post the lyrics later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.... that is so funny!!!!  It is a nice song... I never got the big speaker thing...

    I think it is a guy/man-stick thing, isn't it?

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song! And I can totally drool over your 901s. Do you still have them?
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bose 901s aren't "big" speakers, per se, Dawn.  In fact, inside are only a bunch of 4 1/2 inch speakers.   They're deceptively small, but they can handle just about anything thrown their way.  

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this song, too, Dan.   Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls is one of my favorite ones.  And Silent Night, just because:)   Yet somehow Happy Xmas (Beatles) is singing in my head, also a good one.  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vinyl...heh heh.

    http://2writehands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Call me sad if you will but my all time favourite chrismas song is Fairytail in New York, just totally tells it as it is most of the time, no frills and no BS. pmsl, Sam xx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/sunshines612392/wifemotherstudentmentalhealthnur/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright Dan... so it's not the size of the speaker but the power in the package???

    Still a man/stick thing!!! lol

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete