Monday, September 15, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] In the Papers...

Weird.

I appear to have a really touchy button on my mouse, and when I center-click on a link, instead of opening in a new tab, the link opens in about three or four new tabs. I figure it might not be the mouse, though. After all, I did play a lot of Asteroids in my youth, and I think, as a result, I have developed an innate and spastic button pushing technique.

Ah well... Not important.

Now, where was I?

Oh yes.

Get this:

I got an email this morning asking me if it would be okay if they printed this picture of mine in one of the local papers, and of course I said yes.

This is the second time they've asked to use a picture; however, on the first go-around, something came up, and they cancelled the edition's run of the entire section that would have contained the picture. So, that's kind of nice, and I'm sure a couple of people will see it and say "Holy shit! Dan's still alive?!?"

Somehow, this makes sense.Other than that, today I am stoned clean off my freakin' gourd.

I knew it was going to be a bad day when the aches in my hands woke me up, and the crunch in my knees sounded like someone was violating stalks of celery as I negotiated my way downstairs to make coffee and find Vicodin (they really do go together like bacon and eggs).

The thing is, I saw this coming. When I saw a weakened Hurricane Ike meandering its way into my part of the world, I knew that what remained of the intense low-pressure system, and the rain it contained, would mingle with the fifty degree temperatures to create the sort of cold, bone-chilling damp that makes for some long, achy days.

It's weird how that works.

Now, insofar as I'm feeling a heap of pain, at least I'm not the Bulgarian Women's National Hockey Team. I mean, I may feel as though I've been beaten quite badly, but I think I can safely say that, without a doubt, I wasn't beaten anywhere near as bad as an 82-0 score in an Olympic qualifying hockey game.

Yes. You read that right. Eighty-Two to Zip!

In hockey.

I didn't think that hockey scoreboards could even go that high.

Ouch!

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 9/15/2008 11:02:00 AM

4 comments:

  1. Great picture! Congrats on getting it published!

    Sorry to hear you're hurting. It's cool and kind of damp still today, but it's supposed to brighten up the rest of the week. I hope you get some of the sunshine, too.

    Those poor Bulgarian ladies...that's rough!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dan, on getting the picture published. Maybe when you're rich and famous you can move to somewhere that has hot weather all year round. And beer and cheese, of course.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that summer has slipped away, and we are now getting into cooler weather.  I hope there is still some Indian Summer out there.  Sorry for your pain, congrats on getting the picture used :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so hope that you are feeling better now Dan...... I'm a little late reading blogs at the moment.
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete