Saturday, September 27, 2008

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] Help me!

Hey everyone!

Last night, as I was watching TV, I was flipping channels between Stargate: Atlantis (Don't judge me, Paul), the Brewers/Cubs' game (Go Brewers!), and, lastly, the Presidential Debates.

Personally, I think the debates were flat, freakin' lifeless (which is actually a good thing), but one thing confused the hell out of me.

During the debates, John McCain said that he wanted to build more nuclear energy plants. He also said that doing so would reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Now, I don't know if I'm just not grasping things, or if John McCain isn't grasping things, but what the fuck is he talking about?

Do people have oil-powered ceiling fans, toasters, and refrigerators?

Then again, maybe he's talking about electric space heaters. Perhaps, with the way oil prices are, people will be reduced to using these portable heaters to heat their homes this winter because they can't afford to use their oil furnaces.

Anyway, if all you out there can think of how building nuclear plants will reduce our dependency upon foreign oil, please help me out here. I really can't think of a single way in which they would.

-DP

--
Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 9/27/2008 02:31:00 PM

2 comments:

  1. http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epa/epat1p1.html

    You are correct that a small percentage of our electrical generation is produced using petroleum in the US, about 2%, mostly in California (they do not allow coal in CA).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my oil-powered toaster, the Toast-E-O 3000. When I yank the chain and fire that baby up in the morning, we know that we're a heartbeat away from yummy goodness! It's a bit of a problem in the winter, because the fumes really build up in here when we can't have the windows open, but we deal! I just take a long nap afterwards and sleep away the exhaust fumes.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete