Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Oy Vey!

In plugging around on the so-called “Blogosphere,” I stumbled upon Plittle’s journal, Aurora Walking Vacation, and a great, well-written entry titled “A Plea.” 

 

In it, he discussed how the Christian Right is, for lack of a better word, contributing to the number of cases of cervical cancer in this country by prohibiting the innoculation of our children against a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) known as Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).  It's definitely worth taking a look at.

 

Call me crazy, but I think it's horribly wrong to condemn our future generations to a possible, painful death based solely upon the irrelevant squawking of proselytizing pseudo-Christian ninnies.  What do you think?

 

Now, the entry itself is a very articulate piece on just one of the myriad of hazards in allowing a specific religious belief to interfere with the health and safety of the overall population (after all, it's painfully clear that very few people grasp the concept that not onlydo our First Amendment rights grant us freedom of religion, it also grants us freedom FROM religion). 

Throughout history, the conflict between science and religion has been a prime example of the collision of the proverbial unstoppable-force and the immovable-object.   And, now there is a way to prevent a specific form of cancer which could benefit humanity, and Christians are getting in the way simply because it carries with it the stigma of a sexually transmitted disease, and they apparently know what God thinks about sex.  Even crazier, their skewed logic is stating that if we innoculate our children against this virus, we are somehow encouraging them to have sex.  It's infuriating to see how the twisted beliefs of this irrelevant religion (and yes!  In terms of government legislation, ALL religious beliefs are irrelevant) is still striving to control the lives and beliefs of not just a few followers, but the entire friggin' nation. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I do respect ALL religious beliefs, and I favor none over the other.  However, as an American, when I see those beliefs seeking to trample upon the rights of others in persuit of a Theocracy, I see that sort of thing as treasonous and utterly wrong.  Where do Christians get this notion that they are somehowmore "important" than any other religion in this country?   Are they under the impression that numbers somehow matter in this case? 

Moreover, if this country is ever going to succeed and survive, Conservative Christians desperately need to learn that they are not the sole religion in this country, and they need to learn to respect the beliefs and lives of others.  After all, so long as there is a single individual within this country's boarders who believes differently from Christian dogma, then that person's First Amendment Rights deserve to be respected.  Otherwise, we're right back in the same old mess this country's very first settlers sought to escape. 

Enough for now,

DP

9 comments:

  1. Funny, you're one of the only ones who commented on the issue. Everyone else just said, "I hope you get out of your ticket."
    -Paul
    http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for the plug.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem with the plug.  I like your journal.  And, as for the issue, I think people need to wake up to the hazards of allowing one religion to take control of our entire country.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just one more note: As I mentioned in the piece, the number of cases of cervical cancer is not growing. The incidence of cervical cancer has actually gone down dramatically over the last seventy years due to better medical screening techniques for the precancerous cells caused by HPV. This vacine, however, would be the final nail in the coffin of cervical cancer.
    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paul.  I'll edit that out.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Poem, uh..what does the d stand for?
    okok so I did read Paul's entry before yours and in fact commetneed on how imporatnt it coould be to vaccinate before the kid gets too big becasue once teh kid is big (wiht teh hepaptitis b shot) it can be too late to vaccinate even though that vaccine has to do wiht when they become sexually active! I mean parents have to innoculate the kids years in advance of sex now...comprende?hugs,natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Poem,
    I finally called the doctor and my kid's docotr just got a call from Merck or teh other guy offering said shot. This docotr is smart so let's see if she decides it's of great importance or not. natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting about this vaccination. This is the 1st I've heard of it. Pap tests are not always right. Doctors (my own) don't always treat their patients as they should. I had b class pap tests for years and my doctor kept telling me I had a mild yeast infection. It wasn't until years later, when I was pregnant with my 1st child that a competent ob/gyn told me I had precancerous cells on my cervix. Both myself and my husband had to be treated with antibiotics (a child can pick up some diseases while passing thu the birth canal)and I was sent to a oncologist who preformed laser surgery on me after the birth of my child. How about protecting the innocent from the sins of their mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy to hear everything turned out for you Tee.  That must have been a scary time.  Thanks for your comments.  

    It's a frustrating thing when one religion tries to dictate the overall health of the entire population.  Keep them seperate.  I won't look to my doctor for spiritual advice, and I definitely won't go to a preacher if I'm having a heart attack.  

    ReplyDelete