Wednesday, October 10, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] My Requisite Saffron Recipe...


There are only a few things I buy in large quantities. Basmati rice is one of those things. I love making it. It just blows boring old write rice out of the water. It's got an amazing, nutty flavor, it's very aromatic, and once you get it down, making the stuff is a breeze.

Anyway, this is my recipe entry for Jaden's Steamy Saffron Giveaway. It's nothing more than Basmati rice with saffron and toasted almonds, and since I'm ridiculously busy lately, it's nice to have this recipe in one's memory to whip out in a pinch. Here's what you will need:

1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you prefer to eat with your molars)
1 cup basmati rice
1 pinch of Kosher salt
1 pinch of saffron threads (I'd say around five or six)
ground black pepper

First, toast the almonds in a medium sized saucepan until that yummy toasted almond scent drives you almost to the point of doing something insane like licking a hot pan. However, right before that urge strikes, dump in the broth, rice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Once it's boiling, stir in the saffron, turn the heat to low, cover and let it sit for 20-25 minutes until what you have is a nice pan of rice with no liquid left. Fluff it up with a fork and eat until your head explodes.

Oh! And the crusty stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan? Eat that too. That's pretty much the best part in my book.

I suppose you can serve this with just about anything, but I tend to just eat it by itself with a cold beer.

-DP


--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 10/10/2007 12:37:00 PM

2 comments:

  1. Just had some of the old Basmati rice myself Dan, love it mate! Any more recipes you would be keen to share?
    Gaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love saffron on rice, I really like that kind of rice, I like almonds.  I could DO this!  Well, not today.  I'm still being fed by hordes of people which is lovely of them but I have no more freezer (or frig) room.  I'd rather just get some of this, I think:)  Sure, I'll have that beer now, too, thanks.  

    ReplyDelete