Monday, October 1, 2007

[The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind] These Days...


Freakin' toasters...

Next, they'll be wanting to go union.

Anyway, today is certainly one of those really odd days where my head just doesn't seem to be in the proverbial game of Life, and rather than plod my way through the book I'm currently trying to write, I'm just sort of dorkin' around getting absolutely nothing done.

In a way, it kind of feels nice.

Then again, there's a mountain of guilt piling up since I really would love to have this novel finished, tidied up, smashed through the presses and available for all the world to read. I think it's a reasonably decent book, but it's severely lacking in a few places, and it's driving me batty and dicing my brain into cute little nuggets of gray matter as I now sit and try to figure out just how to make it better.

Yeah. It's tedious.

Then again, playing around on the internetties lets me find and post silly pictures like the one here. It's a poor, out-of-work Cylon. I feel for the poor appliance, but from what I've been able to gather about the upcoming, and final, Battlestar Galactica season, they're going to be incorporating these old-school centurions in little flashback blurbs here and there. It should be funny. And, I really hope these flashbacks also contain the old suede jackets the viper-jockeys used to wear. Those were some damn, snazzy buckles, after all, and in terms of late 70's fashion, they totally smoked the Members Only crowd.

Anyway, I actually caught the new Bionic Woman opener, and for those of you who watch BSG (that's the acronym the geeks use, ya know), I saw a whole heap of familiar faces. So far, I think I've spotted Katee Sackoff, Mark Sheppard, and Aaron Douglas (there's also Leela Savasta, but we won't talk about her yet).

Nonetheless, if I'm even slightly left to wonder what the hell happened to the poor, lost refugees once Battlestar Galactica comes to an end, I can always just imagine that, after finding their way to earth, they inevitably were absorbed by the mad-scientists of the 21st Century underground cyborg community, and, thus, the vicious circle begins anew, and it's only a matter of time before the toasters take over again, and we're all packed on spaceships to flee for our miserable lives.

As for the show itself, the Bionic Woman is somewhat lacking in depth, and it's pretty damn predictable. Granted, it's only aired one episode; however, it doesn't seem to sway very far from anyone's expectations, and I hardly doubt it will bring the sort of mind-blowing surprises the remake of Battlestar brought to those of us who refuse to grow up and remember the original (QED). And, though it's got a lot of potential to be a great show, I think Bionic Woman will simply become a parody of the original. In fact, unless they do something drastic to distance itself from its predecessor, I think it's inevitable.

Ah well... This is just me being a geek on an off day. Personally, instead of the Bionic Woman, and since we're rehashing crappy shows from the 70's, I think they should have remade Space: 1999 or, even better, a version of Buck Rogers set in a brutal and biting dystopic future free from dumb-ass pet robots, bird-people, Gary Coleman and mylar unitards (save for whomever replaces Erin Grey).

-DP





--

Posted By Dan to The Wisdom of a Distracted Mind at 10/01/2007 01:49:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment